Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Debbie Tails #1 - I Had Her At Hello

Doing time at the MCHS in Rockville, MD

Debbie Tails - The Inside Scoop on a Foster Dog's Journey to Find a Forever Home


When my foster mom first visited the MCHS Shelter in Rockville, MD, I had her at hello. Amidst all the chaotic action and noisy barking, as she approached my cage there was nothing but silence. As our eyes connected and I gave her my most loving smile, I sat and leaned, pressing my fur against the fence, hoping she could pet me. She talked to me in such a nice voice and as I slid from a seated position to laying down, I lifted my back leg in hopes of getting a belly rub. It was tough for me being in the shelter, away from the warm touch of human hands. That day, my foster mom made a promise to me. She said “I'm gonna get you out of here. And I promise to do my best to find you the best home ever”.

This picture is my foster mom's first view of me on the MCHS web site. Certainly this black and white photo is only a partial view of the real me. My foster mom's a smart woman. She knows that a dog's behavior in the shelter is not fully indicative of their true personality. Being in the shelter can be scary. Therefore some dogs act more scared and timid. On the other hand, some calm dogs may be more excitable and seemingly more hyper.

My foster mom came to the shelter wanting to help a more challenging dog. Boy did she get what she wished for! Back then I was to busy jumping and barging in and out of situations around the house to pay attention. But now I know that promise she made “to do her best to find me the best home ever” was a driving force. She could have taken the easy path, but that promise motivated her to continually work on my training. I'm happy to report that time, patience, and consistent positive reinforcement training got me to where I am today. I'm a great dog and a joy to be around! I'm still my sweet, belly rub lovin' self, but I've learned more things than I ever though possible. My foster mom did her part... teaching me what I needed to learn to position myself to find the best home ever. Now I'm waiting for the best home ever to come find and adopt me.

What motto's or mantra's have you used to help yourself or a pet through rocky times?

No comments:

Post a Comment