Monday, September 9, 2013

Debbie Tails #2 - Rocky Times

Looks a bit like me but this is former foster dog Rocky and his Valentine's Day toy
Debbie Tails - The Inside Scoop on a Foster Dog's Journey to Find a Forever Home

Rocky and I both have one thing in common. We were both raised as pups by families who then gave us up when we were 8 months old. 8 months, I was told, is not an uncommon age for cute pups to be
relinquished to the shelter. Guess a lot of that cuteness has worn off. As we've grown more energetic and larger. The fact that we've received no obedience training, socialization, nor the proper amount of exercise doesn't help. “Don't have time”. That's the reason. An additional reason for me was “the kids don't help”.

I'm a smart girl! And I bet Rocky was too. A little bit of training could have gone a long way. In a Pet Finder article about relinquished pets, it was report that most dogs (96%) had not received any obedience training.

One difference between Rocky and I is that he was my family's first foster dog and I'm (currently) the last...I'm their 9th foster dog.  Uncle Don called Rocky a rebound hound. My foster family started fostering when their current dog Sasha, a Doberdor (part Doberman, part Lab) was getting pretty old. Rocky was a wild one! But he was gentle with Sasha. He'd lay down close to her and was a good companion. And he helped ease the pain of Sasha's passing. Sure is hard to lose a loved one. Amazing how dogs can comfort and soothe and help humans through Rocky times.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment