Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Debbie Tails #1P - Sit Sit Sit



Debbie Tails - The Inside Scoop on a Foster Dog's Journey to Find a Forever Home

When I heard the news of an adoption visit I got so excited!  Maybe this was the one!  At the beginning of the visit we headed out for a walk.  Great idea!  My brindle markings were looking beautiful in the sunshine, I was sniffing, walking, and feeling relaxed.  Not long into the walk, as I was sniffing, I felt pressure pulling up on my neck.  I felt like I was being choked.  I had trouble breathing.  It hurt.  The next thing I know my butt was being pushed down to the ground.  Talk about uncomfortable! I heard some noise but didn't understand.  I was confused. I heard my foster mom say "please don't push on her. We never use force.  Not only does Debbie already know how to sit, but she's learned to sit hearing it said just one time.  In addition she knows a hand signal.  Let's just walk for now and when we get back home, away from distractions, Debbie can show you some of  her commands and tricks". 

Oh! Now I get it!  That lady was trying to get me to sit and the noise I heard was sitSitSITSITSIT.  I just don't understand humans sometimes.  Why would a potential adopter do that to me?  As my foster mom said, I already know how to sit. I've gotten really good at sitting when asked.  I'd much prefer that we walk together and get to know each other a bit first.  But please don't hurt me.  I weigh 65 pounds and that's a lot of weight to push to the ground.   I can say that on a walk, if you unexpectedly want me to sit it's helpful for me you say my name first to get my attention and to ask before my nose is super engaged on the ground. 

My initial paperwork from the Montgomery County Humane Society said "Debbie can sit but not for long".  Clicker training has been a great way to get me sitting for longer and longer.  Now I can sit and stay for 5 minutes.  And at the front door I sit until I hear the word "release".  I like how at my Foster Dog Alliance training classes they start small and then gradually build.  First I learn in a quiet environment and then after lots of practice I work on duration, distance, and eventually with distractions.  Makes it easier for me to learn.  And it never hurts.

No comments:

Post a Comment