Thursday, October 24, 2013

Debbie Tails #5T - GEICO Paws-For-A-Life

A lot of love was put into the raffle baskets
Today I attended an event in Chevy Chase, MD called GEICO Paws-For-A-Life and I was completely surrounded by love!  Not only did wonderful GEICO employees come out to support dog/pet fundraising efforts but loving rescue group staff and volunteers were there too! The event was incredibly well organized!  Lots of space for us dogs to move around, and look at those wonderful silent auction items.  I'd want the one directly in front of me with the comfy dog bed.  Such generous donations!

There were two "dog mobiles", one from the Washington Human Society and the other from the Animal Rescue League (WARL).  Those were the only 2 organizations that brought along cats.  Cats just don't have a nice thick warm coat like me so that's the only way they could keep warm.  So many people commented on my super soft wonderful-to-touch fur.

Boy do I wish Sarah Stoycos from the Foster Dog Alliance was there to see me!! I had my best day of greetings EVER!  While I have been having great greetings lately (thanks to Sarah's months of training teaching me to lay down and let the people come to me - this avoids me jumping), today I didn't at all feel stressed or anxious in between greetings or with lengthy greetings.  And I did my best ever with lots of dogs around! Of course with me being Debbie I did indeed have a couple big WOOFs accompanied by my amazing vertical jump but overall I was much more relaxed and composed with other dogs fairly close by than ever before! When I'd get all excited, as my foster mom would say "turn" or "with me", I'd listen the first time, be redirected away, and then regain my composure almost instantly.  It did indeed help having lots of grassy space around.

Some of the organizations were the Montgomery County Humane Society, Mutt Love Rescue, Lizzy's Lodge, the Washington Animal Rescue League, the Washington Humane Society, and the Animal Welfare League of Arlington.  I especially bonded with Animal Welfare staff Joanna and Charnita.  I was impressed that Charnita instantly recognized me as a Dutch Shepherd!


The Washington Humane Society portable "Adopt Me!" mobile
Usually it's best to avoid hoovering over top of a strange dog however
the slow moving and loving crowd kept me feeling confident.

I got to be the center of attention!  Later he looked for a GEICO
employee named Debbie to pose with me, Debbie!

It was a day of my best greetings ever!

Mutt Love Rescue volunteer has plenty of love to go around.

No comments:

Post a Comment